It sucks to be Sri Lankan right now, and here’s why:
1. It is so hot now that your brain melts, and you feel like you are moving through sweat soup.
2. The government is so corrupt that you have a ‘Bribes’ column in your budget.
3. Politician play musical chairs across parties.
4. Terrorists can become MPs
5. You can hardly tell the difference from a terrorist attack and a government attack
6. A teacher can run away with a billion rupees.
7. Citizens pay taxes that go into killing other citizens.
8. The roads have more holes than Swiss Cheese.
9. The country is run by a monarchy that hides behind a democracy.
10. The national religion is headed by monks who advocate violence.
And did I say it was very hot? And that bombs going off no longer shakes us off our routine? And that idiots drive on roads infested with tri-shaws?
Sri Lanka has a lot of issues and it just keeps getting worse. I wonder how much longer we can hide in our little worlds before it all comes back and bites us in the bum.